
Yesterday's Coronation, I mean Inauguration, was very "entertaining." The prayers alone were worthy of Oscar Nominations. But the poem, written and read by Yale professor Elizabeth Alexander, "Praise Song for the Day," was almost more liberal, literary clap-trap than I could keep down. The "love that casts a widening pool of light" apparently fell on the capital yesterday while crowds gathered and jostled to get a better look at the incoming president who would bring the change they desired: free school, free housing, free food, free love. Meanwhile, across the country, plain fluorescent bulbs lit the offices and businesses of regular people striving to make a living the old fashioned way, hard work and perseverance.
In honor of the new regime and just to let you all know that I too am literary, I have written a poem, not unlike Ms. Alexander's in that it strives to really capture this historical moment with poignancy and clarity.
Mud, sand, rock, grass
Earth’s resources up in gas
Obama’s plan to save us all
The girl eating pancakes
The boy with the ball
Man, woman, child, cat
Soupy Sales with a funny hat
Birds flap, beavers gnaw
The rainforest stands sadly
In the glacier thaw
Happiness, love, pickled pig feet
Prejudice is time consuming
And hard to beat
Winter, spring, summer, fall
Moonbeams blind the eyes of all
Hope has come
Change supreme
When democrats reign like Judge Roy Bean
I need some footnotes to explain the references I am clueless about in your poem (comes from being culturally unaware and not very literary.)
ReplyDeleteI, of course, am a person who saw/read/heard not one thing about the event yesterday (except my 11 year old saying he got to watch it on TV at school). I was, however, at my job..does that count for something?
(Sigh. I probably deserve what I get...)
Poems mirth I doth behold, to Alexander's metronome I do hold.
ReplyDeleteMaybe she should have taken a speech class as well as a writing class.